Friday, February 10, 2012

Vets, Peds, and Orthos Oh MY!

And that is just this week; last week was a physical and dentist appointment!  And I really dislike the doctor.

We started off with a trip to the Vet for Tucker.  It was his annual visit, but we've noticed he's had some accidents lately and that's unusual.  So we ordered a urine analysis.  Can I mention that the vet tech couldn't get the urine sample?  She kept calling Tucker a 'she;' I think that was part of the problem.  So the little cup was sent home with us.  And you think obtaining your own urine sample is gross?  Try following around a sniffing dog, who keeps looking back at you in confusion.  The Husband got the sample and dropped it off; this is why he's the best husband!  Tucker has magnesium phosphate crystals in his urine.  He needs an Xray to determine if he has stones in his bladder that would need to be removed; if there are no stones then we re-evaluate his diet. I'm already thinking about how to explain this to a toddler so he'll stop feeding the dog!  This Xray can be performed when we schedule his teeth cleaning (which has doubled in price since last time).  Did I mention Tucker vomitted in my car?  And the real reason The Husband is the best is that I don't do vomit.

Tucker has gained two pounds in the last year. I wonder if Noah has anything to do with this?
9yrs old, 24.2lbs!
On a happier and less gross note, Noah had his 18 month appointment.  Noah was happy and healthy.  He had to get two shots and was a trooper considering the nurse fumbled the second needle.  The nurse stuck herself and then Noah twice- Nice!

25lbs 5 oz (50%) 33 inches tall (80%)

And last but not least, I had my Orthopedic appointment on Thursday for my possibly fractured wrist, which has been feeling a lot better this week.  I've been using it less, especially when carrying Noah.  I ended up seeing an Occupational Therapist who said that it could be a small fracture or just a strain/sprain of the tendons or ligaments, which he would treat the same.  I got three different splints, that look like braces, to try.  I had my choice of how soft or rigid I wanted the braces that go from an ace bandage to plastic, or corkboard splints and hard casts.  Luckily for me it was my choice and I got the mid range ones.  The OT said 5 years ago I'd be in a hard cast for this injury, so I feel lucky!

 If I don't see an improvement with my splint, exercises, and rest I can move to more rigid splinting (yeah right!) and  invasive steps, like iontophoresis (a little shock therapy) and finally getting the MRI, and seeing the hand surgeon to see what really going on in there.  I felt relieved after the appointment, but my wrist hurt so much more after all the testing he did on it to see where the strains were.  Funny, and not funny at the same time, to see how little my range of motion is right now.
My newest accessory

After wearing the splint for about 24 hours, I'm in more pain.  I realize that I'm fighting the splint to keep my activity level the same.  Cutting snacks, wiping bottoms, turning doorknobs and more are almost impossible with the splint.  Let's not talk about typing this blog!  I will need to work on resting and pacing, two things the OT talked about at length.  This will be hard.

For those who noticed, yes I did paint my ring finger nail Carolina Blue for Wednesday's game.  It probably didn't work out for UNC because I forgot to also paint the left ringfinger blue; I kept going with all taupe/grey.  Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment