Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's Cold Outside!

Photobucket


Do you remember that I've mentioned Noah doesn't eat dinner?  Well I made something he ate for dinner and then ate 3 bowls of for lunch the next day- Pintastic!  Cheesy Vegetable Chowder, which I am calling Broccoli and Cheddar Soup with more veggies.  Perfect meal for the chilly and windy days we've been having.
Enjoying his Third helping
This soup is a bit labor intensive and Lulu the Baker does not indicate how long any of it will take.  The Husband and I were discussing today if this could possibly go in the crockpot which would cut down on some of the time, but none of the labor.  I cut all the veggies while Noah was napping and it probably took 30-40 minutes.  Half an onion, 3 celery stalks, bunches of baby carrots, garlic, one sweet potato, one russet potato, two heads of broccoli.  Not the best idea with a wrist injury, but that's how it goes.   The actual soup cooking took 45 minutes, which was my guess, lucky for me.  I didn't have to stand over it the whole time, but I didn't walk too far away either.

This soup was really good and even better and thicker as leftovers the next day.  I also froze some so it makes a lot.  It seems really healthy too, besides the two cups of cheese there is really nothing but veggies and chicken stock in it.   It's going into our rotation for sure!

Saturday night I searched Pinterest for Hot Chocolate recipes and settled on this one; partly because it looked good and partly because I didn't have a ton of ingredients on hand.  I mixed up the recipe a bit to make it Adult Hot Chocolate and it was pretty yummy.  Not the best I've had, but certainly good enough!





  • 2 heaping tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • sprinkle of powdered sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons boiling water
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 cup Bailey's Irish Cream

  • Combine dry ingredients in a saucepan and mix in the boiling water.  
    Bring this mixture to an easy boil while stirring. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes.  Stir in milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil! Remove from heat and add vanilla and cream. 
    And I have a confession; I've been lazy.  So lazy that even though it's cold outside I haven't been wearing pants.  I've been wearing leggings more and more frequently.  I bought leggings last fall when I was still losing baby weight and an elastic waist band was very appealing.  But I think I've worn them more recently than I ever did last year.  Laziness coupled with lack of exercise and they are back.  I don't think this is a good thing and it makes for very cold legs (even with boots and legwarmers!)  Hopefully Monday brings the return of pants! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment