Monday, March 19, 2012

I don't hate to run anymore?

Yes, it's a question, not a statement.  I don't like to use the word hate; but I do and I should use it less.    If you've read any of the 'about me' parts of this blog you will notice I never mention running, yet I run.  If asked if I am a runner (because I certainly don't look like one) I answer, "No, I don't consider myself a runner, but Yes, I run."  And that's exactly how I feel about it.  I run because it's the best exercise for my body and for my mind.  When I run I either make lists of things, (what to pack for a trip, what to buy at the store, things to get done) or I have full blown, two sided conversations (ie arguments) with someone else about something that's been bothering me.  When I'm done running I no longer need to have that conversation because I worked it out in my head and spoke for the other person myself.

Resolution Run Cary Jan 1, 2011
I ran a tiny bit in college; I ran a little more after college. I ran a lot before my wedding; I ran 5 days a week when I was in the best shape of my life.  I ran 9-15 miles a week after I had Noah while training for any of the 10+ 5Ks I've run since he was born.  I can proudly say that I improved my 5K time by 12 minutes in one year, with my best time being under 27minutes.  But every time (yes every.single.time) I put on my shoes and get ready to run I say, "I hate to run.  I don't want to run."  I say this either to myself or out loud to the Husband as he gets ready to run with me.

I've been on a running hiatus lately.  Partly because I've gotten lazy and partly because I shouldn't push the stroller with my wrist injury.  Let's be honest, my hiatus started before the wrist.  But I'm feeling better and with DST it's lighter later, the weather is beautiful and I'm ready to get myself back in shape.  So I've dusted off the elliptical inside and headed outside solo to run.  One night, after a pretty good run, I thought to myself, "I've missed running and I enjoyed that."  What a surprise- I don't hate it?  After almost 6 years of running fairly regularly, I now actually enjoy it? Maybe it was a fluke or maybe I am just really craving the exercise and solo time.  In any event, this is a new development for me so we'll see how long it lasts.  Hopefully long enough to join the CH Moms at the Brier Chapel Earth Day 5K (ugh the hills!).  Maybe a practice race before? I'm open to suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Seems like everyone has the "it grows on you" attitude so maybe I need to give it more time, maybe I'll get there too. I love how you said,"I'm not a runner but I run" b/c that's exactly how I feel about myself. I don't think I'll ever consider myself a "runner".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing Girls on the Run. It will be my first 5K, and like you I hate to run, but have this crazy need to do it. I hope to get one under my belt and keep the momemtum going. Great Blog, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete