Friday, March 2, 2012

Smoothie Starve

Photobucket


Spring is on it's way and I've been seeing Smoothies all over Pinterest.  My blender definitely doesn't get enough use, so I've been trying a few of these smoothies out.  I'm also working on trying to get myself back into shape; another one of my spring trends after my winter blues.  A lot of the smoothies are healthy options so hopefully this will help me out.  Plus I know Noah is getting a little more dairy, fruit, and veggies, so that's a bonus.

I am still making  The Sleep Doctor's Sleep Slim Smoothie for the Husband and me that I wrote about last week here.  It's still yummy.  Jury is still out on the sleep and metabolism.

I've been playing around with some Green Monster smoothies.  I made this Green (er- Brownish) Monster Smoothies directly from the recipe. Shocking- I know..

Pre Blend

It started out green

turned purple.
and ended purplish brown
Two tablespoons of honey is way too much for me.  I was jittery the whole rest of the afternoon.  I'm also not a huge berry fan of the blueberries. But it was still tasty.  

I made THIS one today.  First let me say that I do not believe in drinking or eating anything and just "watch the pounds come off without fuss."  I believe in exercise and healthy, balanced diets.  But I wanted to try the Green Monster smoothie with water instead of milk.  I did not use 2 bananas because I find the flavor too strong- I used 1/2 of one.  This smoothie didn't really taste very fruity and wasn't very frothy (no milk).  The spinach leaves didn't completely blend for some reason either.  I drank it for breakfast with some hot, green tea, and half a whole wheat bagel with butter at 8:30am.  I have been starving since around 11am!  And I don't think the Husband liked it either.  Noah half played with it, half drank it.  My vote is Pinterrible.  I should have no from "watch the pounds come off without fuss...."

So I've decided to make my perfect smoothie, adapted from Amy's recipe on Sing For Your Super.  And mine actually turned out green (though I forgot to photograph).
-1/2 banana into about 4 slices
-about 1 cup of frozen Tropical Fruit mix (strawberry, mango, pineapple) defrosted in the microwave for about 2 min.
-one or two handfuls of spinach leaves (I used bagged spinach- be sure to wash!)
-one or two tablespoons of vanilla yogurt
-splash of soy milk
-5 or 6 ice cubes
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blend together and serve.  This has made two adult servings and one sippy cup serving.  This one actually kept me full too.

No comments:

Post a Comment