Asking a mom, especially a Stay At Home Mom, "What would you do with a day to yourself?" is akin to asking a person without kids what you would do if you won the lottery. The answer is always something along the line of clean, shop without someone whining, Take a Shower!, read a book, Nothing!
The Husband has taken Noah on a jet plane for the weekend... by himself! After I flew alone with Noah, the Husband decided he could do it too. They have gone to visit the Husband's family in Boston. Since I am a worrier to the Wellburtrin degree, I have to say I'm freaking out a little bit. My reminder list (given verbally I'm not that crazy) included instructions to hold Noah's hand when outside, I mean seriously? I trust him infinitely but I'm a control freak (obviously). So hopefully I can relax a little this weekend and know they are having a wonderful time together.
So what would I do if I had a day, or two, or three, or as it so happens- 4 days off?
- Wash all the couch cushions & pillow cases
- exercise (running whenever I feel like it!)
- clean the house like it hasn't been cleaned since a certain someone arrived 2 years ago
- read (I have 3 on the nightstand I'm hoping to get to)
- shop (hello 50% off 5 items coupon from BR in my inbox & Hudson Jean sale at Nordstrom Rack)
- lay out in the sunshine (with said books above)
- drink wine... any time (it's lunchtime somewhere)
- Bake something yummy (and then eat the whole thing myself!)
So far in the hour and a half they've been gone I've taken Tucker out for a walk, loaded the dishwasher, cleaned out Noah's highchair, put Noah's bumpers in the wash (which took 17 minutes to untie the 20 ties because they've been on crib since Jan '11 - we've never had poop or vomit in the crib but yes I know this is still gross- not to mention I broke 5 fingernails in the process), written this blog (back in bed!) and put my to-do list into my iPhone (did I mention control freak).
And yes, I cried at the airport. Actually I think I started crying on Tuesday, but I cried putting Noah to bed last night (he kept saying, "Mommy coming airport too?"), and cried a bit while the husband packed last night, and cried some more when I pulled into the garage after dropping them off. But now that I have my task list in hand I think I can successfully pull myself out of bed, put on a bathing suit, pack a snack, and head to the pool with my book!
fellow sahm here! Love this post! I love how you have cleaning as your top priority same with me. When my husband takes Our daughter to swim lessons Fridays I clean the bathrooms. Sad but true!
ReplyDeleteoh girl... i got tired reading your list! when my parents took C on vacation with them earlier this summer, I just mainly slept alot. SO LAZY!
ReplyDelete