*I have a new new nickname for 'the Husband.' I've never liked referring to him this way. I finally figured out a more appropriate name- the Editor. He is an editor and it just fits him (and my referring to him) much better.*
As many parents get their kids ready for the first days of school and pre-K, I too have come to realize that Noah can and did survive without me (and I without him). Last week Noah traveled with the Editor to Boston without me (I blogged a bit about it HERE). He existed for the good portion of 4 days without me knowing what he was doing every minute. He came back seeming to me much older and bigger than when he left.
I did not sleep in; somehow I woke up by 8 or 8:30 every day (one day 7:30!). I also got to video chat with Noah every morning, though many times Grandpa was much more interesting than me, but he did kiss the screen every day for me. And I was only my control-freak self once via text to the Editor about open windows. Coupled with my pre-trip hand holding advice, crazy only appeared twice and that's pretty good.
-Thursday I started a list and got right to it. Laundry, errands to the tailors, making some yummy homemade granola bars. I also went to the pool to finish my book, took a bath, got my eyebrows threaded (and by the way, the waxer asked me about my upper lip??? Do I have a mustache? I don't think I do; I declined but am now very paranoid. If it needs to be done, I will do it), shopped, ran, and watched Project Runway.
-Friday I woke up not feeling so good- head cold, snuffly, coughing. So I did a video chat with Noah from bed with bedhead and then retired to the couch for the whole rest of the day. And I must confess that Tucker is one lazy ass dog because he parked on the couch for the remainder of the day right along with me. I watched some trashy tv (Gossip Girls- how have I never seen this show before?)
| Even a squirrel attack couldn't get Tucker up. |
-Saturday I woke up feeling better so I cleaned the house. I took my time, I cleaned blinds and window sills, I cleaned the sides and bottoms of furniture with actual polish (not just the tops). I made meringues and watched a chick flick. I also found a nice surprise on our front porch. A cat/fox/animal killed a bird/bunny/other animal on the porch leaving some fuzzy and gross remnants.
-Sunday I went for a run and then went for waffles and coffee at Bean Traders with my next book. Well they were out of waffles but that's okay. It was a beautiful day! When I got home I sat outside and read some more. I roasted fruit for the meringues, took a shower, and it was 2pm- time to go pick up my boys! And I checked everything off my checklist!
I got tons of texts and photo updates of what my little man was up to.
-Thursday their adventure began and Noah didn't even turn back to look at me as the Editor walked away curbside with Noah packed into the Ergo. The Editor went out and bought Noah a new stuffed Big Bird and Curious George book for the flight (yes, the Editor did all the toy shopping, snack shopping, and packing for the trip though I was on call for tips and help). Apparently the people behind them on the plane were a little tired of hearing the phrase, "Big Bird." Grandpa picked them up and Noah actually napped after lunch! That evening Noah and the Editor headed over to a friend's house who has a son a few months younger than Noah.
- Friday Noah woke the Editor up bright and early at 6:30, and yes they were sleeping in the same room. This is pretty unusual for Noah; he's a 7:30 type of kid. After breakfast, they drove to the Editor's sister's part of town, jumped on the T with Aunt & Grandma and went downtown. Apparently on the T, you 'exit on the right' because I hear that phrase quite frequently now when we play with trains. They went to Frog Pond, went on the swan boats, rode the carousel (he chose the chicken), and played on a playground before riding the T home for a nap at Grandma's.
The trip was a success and I think it was a great 'experience' for all of us. The Editor seems to think this is the first steps in me letting Noah go off to school where he won't be in my sights all day. While it was a success and I'm so glad they went, who are we kidding, I'm pretty sure I'll be going to school with Noah when the time comes.
-Thursday their adventure began and Noah didn't even turn back to look at me as the Editor walked away curbside with Noah packed into the Ergo. The Editor went out and bought Noah a new stuffed Big Bird and Curious George book for the flight (yes, the Editor did all the toy shopping, snack shopping, and packing for the trip though I was on call for tips and help). Apparently the people behind them on the plane were a little tired of hearing the phrase, "Big Bird." Grandpa picked them up and Noah actually napped after lunch! That evening Noah and the Editor headed over to a friend's house who has a son a few months younger than Noah.
| Happy traveler on his way to Grandpa's house. |
| Flying the friendly skies with Big Bird |
- Friday Noah woke the Editor up bright and early at 6:30, and yes they were sleeping in the same room. This is pretty unusual for Noah; he's a 7:30 type of kid. After breakfast, they drove to the Editor's sister's part of town, jumped on the T with Aunt & Grandma and went downtown. Apparently on the T, you 'exit on the right' because I hear that phrase quite frequently now when we play with trains. They went to Frog Pond, went on the swan boats, rode the carousel (he chose the chicken), and played on a playground before riding the T home for a nap at Grandma's.
-Saturday Noah started to get a little restless and there wasn't a huge plan in place for the day. A trip to the pet store and a ride on the commuter rail into Boston and back again. Noah did not nap and went to the library and ran around the high school football field instead. And he finally asked, "Momma coming too?" Followed up by asking if his two besties would be there. I guess they are the next best thing to me.
![]() |
| Finally picking up the exploding hand at the end of 'pounds.' And what might have been the most exciting thing about Grandpa's house- the mail slot in the door! |
-Sunday morning was spent with a little park time before boarding the flight. Remember to empty out those sippy cups before putting them through security! This was the Editor's only flight hiccup and luckily they just ran the backpack/cup through the machine 3 times to iron out the details of the two sips of mystery liquid left in the sippy. When I saw Noah walking like such a big boy through the airport back at RDU I was so happy to see him (and the Editor). Noah, of course, didn't see me until we were about 3 feet apart- I guess he wasn't looking for me!
![]() |
| Ready to see Momma (and a burpie/paci appearance). And no, despite those tired eyes, Noah has yet to fall asleep in flight. |




No comments:
Post a Comment