Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A stay at home mom who's never home

Enjoying the train & Old Well
On Saturday, the Husband & I decided to go to the NC Museum of Life & Sciencee.  Noah loves the Wonderland Express Exhibit; the Husband had not been yet and it ended this weekend.  I can only imagine what kind of  problem we are going to have the next time we go to the museum and the "Choo Choos" are not there anymore.  While we were ordering our delicious Q-Shack lunch (yes the L&S Museum now has the Q-Shack! & it was delicious) the man at the counter asked if I had Monday off.  The response in my head was, 'Yes! I'm off; I don't have to go into work on Monday!'  Oops, I haven't GONE to work since April 30, 2010.  My out loud answer was "Yes.  Well ... I stay at home, so I guess No.  No, I don't have off."   

I started thinking more about being a Stay At Home Mom.  My first thoughts were that I am always trying to get out of the house, not stay in the house! I need a new job title.  My mom stayed at home, but I don't remember this constant need for other outside entertainment.  We went to the library in the summer for book clubs, I rode horses, we swam, we went shopping- groceries, clothes, toys, and ran whatever errands my mother needed to run but that's all I can really remember.  I didn't feel like I was lacking anything in those days, nor looking back do I feel that I missed anything.  Seems like me and my 4 younger brothers entertained ourselves with our own toys, or just went along to each others' activities.

Northgate Mall Carousel 
Now, Noah & I go every somewhere pretty much every day either alone or with our favorite friends.  Rhymetime and LapSitters at the Library, Gymboree,  playgroup, PetCo to see the kitties, the park (not the same park every time, different parks), and any number of kids museums in our wonderful area.  Not to mention MY things- grocery shopping, Stroller Skating, Powerstrollcoffee houses with a play area (Bean Traders), and any other shopping/errands that need to be done.  Staying at home with Noah, I've never felt so busy or had so much fun!  And I keep thinking I need to add activities like swim lessons and crafts to continue the fun.  On days that it's raining or I don't feel like leaving the house I end up feeling guilty about staying in and, gasp! playing with our own toys.  Such a weird thing to feel guilty about in the grand scheme of all the things moms feel guilty about.  It's gotten to the point where it's hard to schedule in laundry, cleaning, and cooking dinner!  Very different than I imagined staying at home would be- long walks with Tucker, exercising when I wanted to, lots of time on my hands for cleaning or playing.  What a fantasy!  Part of me thinks we should try to stay at home one day a week and entertain ourselves with our toys & imagination.  The other part of me wants to check out every fun toddler activity Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh has to offer before Noah heads to school and we can't have this much fun.  Maybe a balance of half days at home... who am I kidding- we are having so much fun!
Hope Valley Baptist Park
Stroller skating Winterfest, Raleigh




No comments:

Post a Comment