Not too many minutes ago I was standing in front of my toaster oven, heating up an apple scone I made for play group today thinking to myself, "I haven't been this tired in a long time." I am super tired because I have been staying up to ungodly pre-child hours of 12:30-1am working on Noah's 2nd year Shutterfly photo book. And after staring at the computer screen for 5 or so hours straight I can't fall right asleep like I normally do. Normally if it takes me longer than 3 and half minute to fall asleep I am pissed; the past three or four nights it's taken me much longer than 3 and half minutes. (I am happy to say the photo book was finished and ordered tonight. I cannot wait to see it, though I am also over it! And also a bit pissed that it won't be here until October... It is the middle of September but still... October?)
So while I was waiting for my scone to toast so I could butter it I had a flash back of one of the last times I was this tired. It was October 2010. I was a new mom of a two month old and I liked to have a little time for myself in the mornings and would set my alarm for 6am so I could do some emailing and such before Noah woke up around 7am. Clearly I was yet to figure out what motherhood was all about if I was thinking time to myself was a 6am priority. I thought it would be nice to make myself some oatmeal with toasted almonds and coconut. So I put them on a little baking tray and put them in the original toaster oven, set the timer and went back to email. Who knows how many minutes later, I noticed a weird sound and smell. The toaster oven was on fire, I mean en fuego! Not just a little, but an actual pull out the fire extinguisher emergency. Apparently coconut burns pretty easily... as do Black and Decker toaster ovens. So my morning to myself was spent airing out the house and cleaning up the white fire extinguisher dust that was every where. Not just where I sprayed it, but literally every where.
It seems weird how this memory just popped in my head, but I guess I was pretty much doing the same thing I was doing that day. By the way, my scone was toasted to perfection tonight.
It seems weird how this memory just popped in my head, but I guess I was pretty much doing the same thing I was doing that day. By the way, my scone was toasted to perfection tonight.
Actually not the first time I set something on fire (ACCIDENTALLY). For Christmas my dad and mom go all out. Like Christmas Vacation but with colored lights. And we tested each strand and bulb (I have 4 siblings so this was mostly child labor). My dad would string the strands out on the front lawn and plug them all in for us to look for bulbs that were out or broken. In middle school or early high school, we were in the midst of this totally not embarrassing family activity when I got a phone call. I went inside to chat (both me and my parents could tell you who I was chatting with), neglecting my strand. As the story goes, my brother who is probably around 5 at the time kept telling my parents the yard was on fire, but they thought he was talking about the Christmas lights being on. Not so, the yard was en fuego! Something happened with my strand and it was on fire. The fire extinguisher was used and until the pool opened for the season it looked like a space ship had landed on our front lawn. There was a huge blackened circle pretty much dead center. Merry Christmas!
My hair dryer caught fire at the beach this summer in our rental. It's not a good story other than I was holding it in my hands when it was shooting sparks and starting to flame. No fire extinguisher was needed in our 3 story, 6 unit rental condo- thank God!
Needless to say, I'll be in bed early tonight and I won't be waking up early tomorrow to write My Birthday Celebration Abroad post- but I will write it soon. Promise.
Oh man we both need some sleep it sounds like! I can't believe your toaster story. There are some days when I wake before Mia but very very few!
ReplyDelete