We signed Noah up for swim lessons at the JCC on Sunday mornings so both the Husband and I can attend. (Highly recommend them by the way!) Today the Husband had an all day staff meeting so I was on my own. No biggie, we were on schedule and doing our thing. I had to run upstairs to do a little razor maintenance before the lesson and told Noah he needed to stay on his side of the gate to play. After the March 2012 Security Breach (now dubbed Part 1), Noah can open and close the gate better than any childless adult we've had over (and some adults with kids too). Usually he just makes a break for it when he's bored in the family room, when he hears a "Big Truck" come down the road, or when he thinks Tucker wants to come play with us. I was doing my thing upstairs this morning when I heard "bing bang!" The sound of Noah taking Tucker's water bowl and emptying the water into the food bowl and then back into the water bowl. This is a Time-Out offense that doesn't need a warning in our house. Yes, it happens that often; apparently the water is just oh so enticing to Noah. So I start my ineffective yelling, "No!" "Stop!" from the top of the stairs and grab Noah.
We've got about 8-10 minutes to get out the door and I still need to finish my 'project,' put on Noah's swimsuit, and lube us both up with sunscreen. No time for a supervised 2 minute Time-Out to ensure his butt is actually sitting in Time-Out and not playing with his toys. So into the crib Noah goes. Anyone see where this is going? Well the crib isn't much of a Time-Out because Noah loves his crib. So I promptly threw Kermit, Froggie, Puppy, Paci, and Burpie out of the crib and onto the floor.
Burpie? It's hard to find photos of Burpie because he is limited to the crib (along with paci) unless there's a long road trip, flight, or I think he might be necessary. (This particular photo was taken on UNC's campus shortly after Noah fell down some stone steps and busted his lip open this spring. For some lucky reason I had Burpie in my diaper bag). At 5 months old, Noah decided he would not sleep without a burp cloth; and he preferred said burp cloth to be covering his face and head. Well considering this was the ONLY way Noah would sleep, I let him sleep this way. I picked up a few patterned Gerber burp clothes to distinguish them from formula spit up burp clothes, named him (her? it?) Burpie and since then Burpie has been Noah's everything.
Back to today- I ran back into the bathroom and finished my 'project' quickly. I love the way our nursery is set up. From our bedroom I can see straight into Noah's crib if both our doors are open. Well lucky for me, I only needed two minutes to finish my project. I walked from the master bath to the bedroom and did not see Noah in the crib. I walked a bit faster thinking he was laying down. Nope, no baby! Because I'm crazy I literally thought for a second he might have been kidnapped. From my locked house with a loud dog in two minutes? Crazy! I walked into Noah's room and who do I see sitting in a pile of loveys (Kermit, Froggie, and Puppy) sucking away on paci with a death grip on Burpie? Of course, my non-kidnapped but very adventuresome almost two year old toddler/monkey who had some serious red marks on his left rib and in his left arm pit but seemed otherwise unharmed. Now I am hoping that Breach of Security Part 2 was a statement to show me that no matter what obstacles I put between him and Burpie, their love will prevail and they will be together.
What do you say? I don't even remember besides, "We have to put on your swimsuit!" You know me, always on task. We went to swim class, where Noah swam with the teacher and with a noddle unassisted. He also demonstrated his monkey skills by hanging onto the side for 10 seconds (as instructed) and then promptly climbing out of the pool (uninstructed).
After swim lessons, a bath, and lunch Noah was super tired. I put him in the crib and then watched the monitor like a hawk for the 20 minutes it took him to fall asleep. He didn't even stand up! Deep exhale!
What about when he wakes up? Will he do his normal roll around and call me when he's ready to get up? Or will he climb out himself, open the door, and come downstairs to get me? I'm SO not ready for that!
No comments:
Post a Comment