Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Strawberry Scones & Sentences

Last April we took Noah strawberry picking and had an amazingly awesome time.  We picked, took some pictures, and I baked my signature strawberry pie.  He wasn't walking yet, or grabbing strawberries with reckless abandon. 

This April, we met some friends right before going out of town to pick a few strawberries we could enjoy before leaving.  This trip out was a disaster for me.  I did not have any fun and I'm not really sure Noah did either.  We were both cranky and Noah just kept grabbing, squeezing, and eating all the berries.  Red, green, rotten, off the vine, in our bucket, smushed, dirty, it didn't matter; they all ended up in his mouth or squished to death.  He literally took a bite out of each berry we picked.




Once we returned from our trip we were ready for more strawberries.  This time I felt better about going because the Husband was coming to help reel in my strawberry-vampire baby.  This time Noah picked the berries we asked, was very helpful, and didn't put a single one in his mouth!

 

A week or so later we were out of strawberries again and I needed another fix.  I wanted to make strawberry scones (again).  So out Noah and I went into the heat to see which of his berry picking scenarios would prevail.  It was in the high 80s, and we went after nap (3:30pm) so I knew I was pushing my luck.  But Noah went along with berry picking trip #2 scenario and happily picked red berries and put them in his bucket; not eating a single one again.  In fact, Noah uttered his longest full thought.  It took about 60-90 seconds but he said, "MEEE!! Strawberry. Pick. Red. Bucket."  The translation is, "I'm picking strawberries!  Pick the red ones and put them in the bucket."  I have never been so proud of my little boy!

                                 

At home we made Strawberry Scones from an online recipe/blog (Confessions of a Tart) that I quickly pinned to Pinterest.  I made a single batch a few weeks ago and the dough was a bit sticky but tasted fine.  On this day I made a triple batch and it wasn't quite as sticky for whatever reason.  I always use 1/2 white flour and 1/2 wheat flour whenever I make any scones.  The only other substitutions I made were to use whipping cream instead of half and half and I used my Kitchenaid.  These scones are amazing!  I have two freezer stashes left, one baked, and one as dough to pop in whenever the mood strikes again.

The other thing I made with my strawberries is Strawberry Butter.  I thought it was going to be like  Apple Butter you buy in the mountains, but it's much simpler than that- strawberries and butter.  I think I'd use Country Crock butter if I were to make this again instead of Land o Lakes stick butter just so I could spread it easier but otherwise it is what it is.  It was very tasty on my morning bagel; the butter and the jam in one step.  I did roll it and freeze it, per the recipe but it was too messy in the fridge.  Instead I just stored it in tupperware.

Jean's Berry Patch is estimating one week left in their season and this is our go-to berry patch.  But a few others in the area think they'll have about a month left.  Blueberry season is next and we are very excited!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment