Friday, December 14, 2012

Happy ?? Holidays.

It's been a little rough around here lately. I've been struggling; Noah's been struggling; we've been struggling to like each other all day long. We dealt with some major jet lag for at least 6 days after our return to NC. Right after Noah started sleeping through the night again, he stopped napping. UGH! If there is one thing I cannot muster through it's a no nap day. Noah has never been a good napper and if he doesn't nap no one in the S household is happy- NO ONE.
 
I take Noah not napping very personally. It's anyone's fault but Noah's. For more than a year of his life, I was convinced the reason he didn't nap was because the front door opened too loudly, the Editor walked up the stairs too heavily, I didn't bounce him on the God-forsaken exercise ball long enough, I turned to the left instead of the right when I put him in the crib. Now I pretty much know he doesn't nap because he needs to take care of some bathroom business that he likes to do in his crib. (Potty training is still going well- an accident every 7-14 days but we are not nap or sleep trained... because we haven't even begun to go there yet.)
 
I want the Holidays to be fun and jolly and for us to do fun things together. But when Noah hasn't napped in 6 days he doesn't like me, I don't like him and we are both misbehaving and it's not fun. I've felt like the fun things I've planned go unappreciated (hmm... by a two year old- do they appreciate?). It's not fair to anyone.
 
So I've been trying to set up some fun activities in the morning before we can both go off the deep end.
 
Fingerprint Candy Cane & Reindeer Feet (courtesy of Pinterest)
I have to include some throw back photos just because I love looking back at my little boy.
 
Last year we made salt dough ornaments.
Salt dough doesn't taste good...
We actually decorated salt dough magnets at a JCC Hanukkah function this year too; but Tucker ate them (anyone remember my post on how Noah & Tucker are very similar, yup I still stand by that).
 
This year we made cinnamon ornaments.
Noah wanted to wear an apron, just like Momma. He was so excited.
excited face
And our finished products. We haven't painted them yet, but I think we will some morning soon.
And for the record, Noah did nap today and yesterday! I think we've hit either 5 or 6 naps for the month of December now and we can have a pleasant afternoon.
 
Salt Dough Recipe
 
Cinnamon Dough Recipe
The cinnamon ornaments are more fragile than the salt dough. A few of mine broke before I could get them off the pan. I also had a hard time making holes for the ribbon with the cinnamon ones so I bought some magnets to put on the back. But I found the cinnamon dough easier to work with initially. It's more fun to use applesauce and to shake in the cinnamon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment