Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Adventures in Potty Sitting- Getting Started

Apologies for the blog title; I watched 'The Sitter' over the weekend.
 
When Noah was 17months old we introduced the Baby Bjorn blue potty. He was becoming interested in me going to the bathroom. As in he would follow me in, ask me about it, try to take his shirt off (though I pee with my shirt on). I'd have him sit on it, even with his clothes on just to get used to it. Over the summer we've been doing a lot more actual potty time and Noah was peeing on the potty regularly before bath time. Father's Day was his first #2 on the potty; I basically caught him in the act and threw him on. But by August, he was pooping on the potty almost exclusively... until a trip away and we've been spotty ever since.
 
At first I really struggled with when was going to be the right time to go full force potty training. Diapers are easy for lazy moms; potty training is work, and planning ahead and terrifying. In mid-November we have an 11 hour flight with one stop. Do we potty train before or after? What is better? What should I do? But in the past weeks it's become really clear he's ready. He's dry a lot more often, he tells me when he's going, and will ask me to use the potty, even out of the house and will sometimes use the potty out of the house! Lots of funny little whispers in Target, "Mommy, I"m peeing."
 
I checked the weather calendar, along with Noah's, the Editor's, and my social calendar and decided on P Day or P Dayx3. I started asking a friend questions about the 3-day "Oh Crap Potty Training" she used. Then I googled Lora Jensen's 3 Day Potty Training and read a bootlegged version of her plan (Hello I'm not paying $24 for it). I read lots of mommy blogs about their experiences (the only one I actually follow is My Chihuahua Bites). And asked friends lots of questions about Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3 and pulls ups and such.
 
 
 
Then we hit up Buy Buy Baby and Target (FYI I loath Babies R Us and only shop there if you are registered there and I have to buy you a gift) for some essentials:
- Clorox Green Works cleaning wipes (for the car)
- $15 worth of stickers (Yes, I said I wasn't buying a $24 educational potty training book, but I bought $15 worth of ... stickers).
- Annie's Organic Bunny Fruit Snacks (I figure they are better than M&M's)
- 28 pairs of underwear- Thomas, Cars, and Mickey Mouse (one blog I read said they went through 46 pairs of underwear on the first day!)
- Kalencom 2in1 Potette plus for the car
- 30 disposable portable potty liners
- Elmo & Friends Soft Potty Seat (I want Noah to get used different types of potties, now we have two which helps with a two story home).
 
The one thing I feel like I'm missing is a fold up into my handbag (ICK!) potty seat. Recommend a good one!
 
I admit we are kind of winging it, but I'm excited. I tried to pump Noah up too by letting him know he was going to start wearing his big boy underwear this week and we were throwing his diapers in the trash! (I'm not really throwing them away, I'm no fool).
 
Stay tuned for more on our Adventures in Potty Sitting.
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3

No comments:

Post a Comment